Here's The Deal
- Local Rounds hosted in schools before Christmas, Regional Finals hosted in schools in the spring
- Finals Day in the historic Cambridge Union on Feb 27th
- FREE Workshops and Introductory Debating Guide
- Over 600 teams and 1200 speakers
- In-depth feedback and advice from our experienced Judges
- Interesting and challenging motions
- Thousands available in Full and partial means-tested bursaries
All for just £40 per team!
All Regional Finals complete - Finals Day beckons!
Welcome to the home of the Cambridge Union Schools Debating Competition 2012-13, one of the biggest debating competitions for school children in the world!
Each year over one thousand talented youngsters compete to make it to Cambridge for the tournament finals, and ultimately for the prestigious honour of being named schools' champion. The competition boasts excellent opportunities for young people to get to grips with speaking in public, hone their analytical skills and countless other things, all useful for later life. With University applications and interviews just around the corner for many of those participating, the Cambridge Union Schools Debating Competition is not to be missed. Every year, the best teams from the competition reach finals day.
Finals day is hosted in the historic Cambridge Union building. Built in 1815, the Cambridge Union is the oldest speaking Union in the world, and has a rich history of controversial debates and influential speakers. Speakers who have addressed the Union in the past include: the Dalai Lama, President Ronald Reagan, and Sir Winston Churchill. The tradition of high quality speakers continues to this day, the Union recently hosting Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and notable actors Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen, to name but a few.