Golden Festival 2012
Celebrate all things Japanese
Four days, five events - one massive party!
OPEN TO MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS ALIKE
Tickets for the Golden Festival party are now on sale! Buy your tickets here.
The culmination of the Festival and the Union's most ambitious party yet - three floors of Japan-infused fun. This is your last big party before the exam crunch comes in, so enjoy!
- Kendo and Aikido martial arts demonstrations in the Chamber
- The official King's Affair preview
- Fashion cosplay modelling (get in touch if you want to model!)
- A room dedicated JUST to video games
- An Asahi beer bar (courtesy of Asahi beers)
- Tea courtesy of Tea Pigs
- A sake and plum wine bar
...it will quite literally be the best party we've ever thrown!
Email email@example.com for further information and press.
Price: £7 members, £10 non-members
Money will be raised for Akemi Solloway's Aid For Japan, a charity supporting children orphaned by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.
In the build-up to the party, we've prepared four days of events celebrating Japan's cultural and historic contributions to the world:
Wednesday 2nd May, 2:30pm-5:30pm
A series of talks:
- Prof Alan Macfarlane on Japan's resilience
- Dr Barak Kushner with a brief history of Japanese culture
- Award-winning violinist Diana Yukawa on her music and life story.
Free to all
Thursday 3rd May, 10pm (after Comedy debate)
What it says on the tin. Consider it a prelude to Saturday's big party.
Price tbc, but only because we need to cover the cost of the sake!
Friday 4th May, 7:30pm
Three masterpieces of Japanese cinema:
• Hayao Miyazaki's 'Spirited Away' (2001)
• Akira Kurosawa's ‘Seven Samurai’ (1954)
• Hideo Nakata's 'Ring' (1998)
Price £3 members, £4 other and free popcorn for all!
Saturday 5th May, all day
A showcase of extraordinary works by local and international artists, all inspired by Japan. Featuring art by Sonia Leong and Sweatdrop Studios, photography by the award-winning Max Hodges and Thurstan Redding, and design by Asato Goto and Bethany Kelman. A variety of goods will be on sale, from manga to Japanese fashion, and interactive workshops from 'kimono dressing' to 'how to draw yourself in manga' will be running throughout the day.
Original photography by Thurstan Redding / www.cambridgefaces.com
Art by Sweatdrop Studios / www.sweatdrop.com
Clothing by Look Street / www.lookstreet.net
Video games by Game Link / www.youtube.com/Murfadurf83
Designs by Genki Gear / www.genkigear.co.uk
Reps from CamCon / www.thecamcon.com
Kamika-Z Anime / www.kamikaz.co.ukPinkAppleJam / www.pinkapplejam.com
Strawberry Kimono / www.strawberrykimono.blogspot.co.uk
Photography by Max Hodges / www.maxhodges.com
Clothing by Asato Goto / www.gotoasato.com
Free to all before 7pm
PARTNERS & THANKS
- The Anglo Japanese Society www.cuajs.soc.srcf.net
- The King's Affair www.kingsaffair.com
- NintenDisco www.nintendisco.com
- SweatDrop Studios www.sweatdrop.com
- The Japanese Shop www.thejapaneseshop.co.uk
- Takeda Cambridge Ltd (TCB) www.takedacam.com
- Asahi Beer www.asahibeer.co.uk
- Tea Pigs www.teapigs.co.uk
- YO! Sushi www.yosushi.com
- Aikido www.cambridgeaikidojo.co.uk
- Masa-Kun www.masakunviolin.blogspot.com
- Claudia Stocker, who designed our posters www.claudiastocker.com
- Akemi Solloway and her team from Aid for Japan for their work
Special thanks to the Japanese Embassy for being kind enough to help us publicise this event. It's going to be a blast, we do hope you can attend.