The Hawking Fellowship - 2020
Recipient of the 2020 Professor Hawking Fellowship: Dr Jane Goodall
The Professor Hawking Fellowship was founded by the Cambridge Union Society in 2017 and named in honour of Professor Stephen Hawking. The Fellowship recognises Professor Hawking’s contribution to Cambridge in a number of ways, particularly to academia and the awareness of disability rights. Professor Hawking delivered the Inaugural Fellowship Lecture on 23rd November 2017. Sadly, this was to be one of his last public appearances. The Fellowship is awarded to an individual who is distinguished in the STEM fields and who has made a historic and/or significant contribution to social discourse in the STEM fields.
The Professor Hawking Fellowship Committee is delighted to announce that Dr Jane Goodall is the recipient of the 2020 Professor Hawking Fellowship. Dr Jane Goodall delivered her Fellowship lecture on the 9th of November 2020. The lecture was conducted virtually in line with the Covid-19 restrictions imposed upon us at this time. A recording of the lecture is available on our YouTube channel.
The Union’s Professor Hawking Fellowship Committee for 2020 was made up of:
• Col. (Ret.) William Bailey MBE, Bursar
• Mrs. Sabine Edwards, Sponsorship & Corporate Communications
• Ms. Emaan Ullah, President (Michaelmas 2020)
• Ms. Jungmin Seo, Vice President (Michaelmas 2020)
The President and Vice President positions will be filled by the incoming elected person who will sit on the committee for the duration of their elected term.
The 2020 Scientific Advisory Panel was made up of:
• Professor Dame Sally Davies, Master of Trinity College, Cambridge
• Professor Arthur Gibson, DPMMS, University of Cambridge
• Professor Malcolm Perry, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
• Lord Martin Rees, Emeritus Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics, University of Cambridge
The Cambridge Union Society is grateful for The Phoenix Partnership’s (http://www.tpp-uk.com) generous support of the Professor Hawking Fellowship.
Fellowship media enquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org